Thursday, August 21, 2014

Casio AL-180

A Casio AL-180 668 module watch from my collection.


First introduced in 1987 (according to some online sources), it remains a true, of cheap, classic. Not sure if the model is still produced. But it is popular with collectors - so much so that there are apparently many fakes sold off ebay.


I am sure that mine is original. It was bought in the now distant year of 1998.


It has no batteries, is powered by the sun (or light in general) and is a previous reincarnation of the solar technology, it has a simple capacitor or something.


Problems? Sometimes it doesn't get enough sun (or light) especially if used in the northern hemisphere and especially in winter or if worn in the premises rather than outside -- then it starts losing time.


Original adjustable stainless steel Casio bracelet.




Casio AL-180 668 Module... stainless steel back (only).



 Bracelet clasps.



1 comment:

  1. Yes I have one too. No problems with losing time due to not enough light. I prefer my watches over my sleeve so by default it is always getting light except when outdoors at nighttime. One of the reasons I like this watch so well is it has the older “2 beep” time signal. It is the loudest time signal of any of my other Casios, so I wear it more often.l. I wish I could get a working Casio from the 1970’s as they also had the “2 beep” signal as well as the single beep to indicate the half hour. Wish I would have kept mine from back then.

    ReplyDelete