Friday, October 31, 2014

Cateye Velo 5

Bike computer... also known, somewhat grandiloquent-ly, as a cyclocomputer.

This Cateye Velo 5 is about 7-8 years old already. Still operates on the same battery (CR-something.


The above photo was made on the go, the speedometer reading is about 5.6 km/h. I nearly fell off the bike taking the picture, so no higher speed was achieved in the interests of safety. 


Now in the clock mode (above), while the speedometer reading is 0.0 km/h - consistent with staying put, no mistake here. The time is 15:39. Over the 7 or 8 years I have had it, I never bothered to adjust the time so it is now 1.5 hours late. The 1 hour is probably due to the summer/winter time malarkey. Also, this thing winters in my cold country villa which is uninhabited in the winter, with temperatures sometimes falling as low as minus thirties. Still it gradually un-thaws -- as do many other electronic devices (including radios, game consoles, TV sets that I leave there) and works OK during warmer times. I could probably set the right time but you do have to find the manual first.


Dst 211.03 is a trip distance, which I haven't reset in a long time.



Top speed achieved is 27.9 km/h. In fact, this is not the topmost speed as I once hit 40 km/h down some slope but unfortunately accidentally reset the computer thereafter.



Odo: 781.3 km. This is the length I traveled by this bike since I installed the computer. Overall, there's about 2,000 km on this bike. But I ride it only once every two weeks.


All modes can be cycled through by pressing one button -- the only one it has.


Odometer.




Clock.


Setup: reed switch sensor on the fork and a spoke magnet, wired. There are also wireless versions (I expect they deplete the batter faster). The only drawback to wired is that you won't be able to adjust the handlebar height upon installation (unless you leave some slack in the wires, but it will be messy).


You also have to input the wheel circumference or something, I forget now. There are preset values for standard wheels but this merida has very nonstandard large wheels so I had to make some calculations myself. But I did it and can attest that speedometer readings seem to be accurate.  


A pretty good velo computer, overall.

Manufacturer -- current models are Cateye Velo 7 and 9 (mine is 5).


My beater bike for riding in the country -- a Merida (of Taiwan).




No comments:

Post a Comment